Wednesday, May 31, 2006

honu - hawaiian for turtle

This morning was another swim… and yet more turtles! The ocean was flat and the water was even more crystal clear than yesterday… which for most people would present excellent conditions for snorkeling and checking out the fish and ocean life… but for the four dorky triathletes (me + 3 boys), the clear ocean blue-green waters translated to perfect draft positioning and sighting practice! So, I put my head down and swam hard for 20 or so minutes, but then I backed off to *smell the proverbial roses* on the way back to shore and spied a turtle or two, a ray and a bounty of colorful fish.

Then I threw on my sneakers for a 6mi hard run… as you can imagine it’s hoT here and while I get used to it while riding/running… when I stop it takes me forEVer to cool down! I was still sweating (sorry, perspiring) while taking a cold (outdoor) shower.

I could just about see the outline of Mauna Kea through the morning sunshine haze… but no snow. It’s summertime and I don’t think there’s any snow up there right now… but I could be wrong. The Big Island and the Four Season is quite the home away from home for the monied class of SF ;-^) For a self-professed mountain chick that does not care much for sun, sand and beaches, I’ve been to Hawaii far too many times in recent years… of course, with the exception of a spring break trip to Kauai, each trip has been triathlon related, so I’ve hardly sat on the beach and drank mai-tais all day… just at sunset! Though, I’m slowly getting accustomed to the lazy days… perhaps that’s my age catching up with me ;-)

No comments: