Thursday, January 08, 2009

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...

I keep thinking of things I would like to write about... if only I had the time... when I change my full-time career from financier to writer? I think I'll keep my day job and continue to pay the rent/bills!

Human interaction - the small stuff... basically the concept of feeling better about yourself and gaining positive vibes from others by being upbeat, pleasant, making smalltalk... at the grocery store, to the valet guys, at the water cooler... Maybe it's just me that gets a buzz from this, but a positive human interaction, however mundane, lifts my spirits.

Give me back my Gym! - the overwhelming increase in people working out at the gym in January... a direct result of lofty New Year's resolutions which will fade by the 3rd week of January... but which annoys the hell out of the *regulars* for those few weeks!

Simpson's Paradox - case-wise superiority but overall inferiority as applied to the Age-group competition in triathlon. Forgive my academic background as a mathematician but this is basically the concept that as an age-grouper, you can consistently win races but still not have great overall rankings... depends which races you do, who shows up etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! But at my gym it seems the NY resolution-ers seem to stick around until early March.