Tuesday, April 25, 2006

idiosyncrasy

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy ( id eo s ng kr se )
n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.

A friend recently asked me what my “idiosyncrasies” are. Nothing sprung immediately to mind. At any point in time, I probably have a few “odd habits”, but are any of these behavioral characteristics? Besides, my habits morph over time, so is it truly an idiosyncrasy?

Definitions aside, I figured a daily or weekly log, might reveal certain behavioral patterns that I could, for the time being, label an idiosyncrasy. I’ve made a note over the last week of a few “things I do”.

Here goes:

1. I sleep on the right hand side of the bed (left if you’re looking from the foot of the bed!)
2. I eat a jar of almond butter a week – it tastes best smothered directly on a banana.
3. Practically the first thing I do when I get into my apartment is check my email.
4. I clip out my right cleat when stopped on my bike – I know that’s a Fred thing to do!
5. When purchasing bulk items (e.g. mixed nuts, yoghurt-covered almonds, raisins) at Wholefoods, I usually eat a couple of pieces before tying the bag.
6. I carry my purse on my left shoulder (unusual for a right-handed person).
7. I don’t cook.
8. My room-mate tells me that I run the dishwasher when it’s half-full.
9. I weigh myself every day.
10. I need a glass of water and lip balm by my bed at night.

Are any of these truly idiosyncrasies? If I were to repeat this exercise in a year’s time, how many items on the list would be different?

No comments: