Friday, July 04, 2003

Riding 200 miles in one day

I haven't time to pen much of a note on Thursday's 200 miler or the rest of the weekend but suffice to say the ride to Westport was HARD. Mentally and physically draining but the stunning scenery made it unique and worthwhile.

I don't think I managed to tell everyone but I took Thursday off work to make it an extra long weekend of biking/camping on the Lost Coast (Northern California) with six friends and a dog. Two of us (Michael and myself) actually rode the 200 miles from San Francisco to our Westport campsite, leaving the Golden Gate Bridge at 6am and arriving in Westport in the last light of day at 8pm, after 200 miles, 15,000ft of climbing and a lot of fatigue, but excited that we had actually made it!

To all you contemplating next year's Ironman Lake Placid race, at mile 120 (our lunch stop in Gualala), I questioned whether I wanted to get back on my bike or run a marathon... in spite of aching shoulders and saddle soreness that the combination of my Pearl Izumi shorts, a Terry butterfly saddle and a tube of Chamois butt'r had not prevented, the bike was definitely more appealing. I made a quick phone call to one of our fellow campers from the restaurant pay phone at lunch. Even though I was dialling from a random 707 area code, my exhaustion caused me to forget all phone etiquette/pleasantries, and all I could manage to say was "200 miles is a f**king long way". What was I thinking?

Thankfully, the sun came out after lunch, plus the chicken sandwich, plate of french fries w/ tons of ketchup and two diet cokes had appeared to give me a new lease of life. By that time, I had also become used to Highway 1's endless number of "Corkscrew Canyons" that send you spinning down to ocean level then back up the dizzying and towering cliffs... I stopped paying attention to the gradient of the road and drew strength from the views of the ocean waves battering the sea-stacks. I just needed to keep turning the pedals and the miles would take care of themselves.

By the time Michael and I made it to Westport, we were both cold and exhausted but giddy from the sense of achievement. We couldn't stop giggling as we were shivering on the porch of the local grocery store, picnicking on deli sandwiches and a six pack of beer, waiting for everyone else to arrive (by car) with camping gear and warm clothing. Thankfully they showed up about an hour later. A HUGE thank you to the support crew!

No comments: