Monday, January 01, 2007

Emailing equation

I came across an equation the other day that seeks to *quantify* the volume/frequency that friends will email you... I believe that you can use it for friends, family, boyfriend, manager, etc. but I have to thoroughly test it since there are limitations and/or enhancements that are probably necessary. Although it is specifically formulated for people you are particularly close with, and so if the person actually does not have much of a reason to email you (say the person is Brad Pitt, for instance), then you have to factor that in.

How Often X Person Will Email Me =[(Hours of Time Online + Amount Slept)/Job Fun] – [close friends within a 20 mile radius – number of significant others] = the number of emails you receive.

Let’s practice. I’ll use myself as an example so I don't make my friends feel so bad about not emailing me!

Hours of Time Online: 11 (10 at work and 1 at home)
Amount Slept: 6.5
Job Fun Factor on a scale of 1 to 3: 2.5
Number of Significant Others: 0
Number of Close friends within a 20 mile radius: 1, (Mary)

[(11+6.5)/2.5] – [0-1] = 8. I should be sending ~8 emails a day to my friends.

Try it, I'm sure you'll find flaws. But it is kind of genius. One enhancement I might consider embedding into the equation would be some sort Blackberry multiplier, for those friends that are Blackberry-enabled...

No comments: