Monday, November 06, 2006

London redux

Okay… it is undoubtedly time that I give London its dues and come up with a list of things… redeeming qualities… stuff that I missed while in the US but did not realize… the list also acknowledges that I’m not moping around while I’m back home, rather that I’m having a jolly ole time!

10. BBC News. I enjoy listening to the news again… it helps that I went to university with one of the top newscasters
9. European accents. I can’t go anywhere without hearing French, Italian, Spanish… Russian, Polish, Russian, Polish… London is so Eastern European!
8. The landscape and architecture. What other city could I go for a 6mi lunch run along the river and see every possible tourist sight in the city?
7. Strictly Come Dancing – my favorite British TV show
6. Eye candy… there are a lot of jaw-droppingly handsome men walking the streets and working with me in London!
5. British sports - I have been so psyched to watch the smorgasbord of sports on telly - rugby, football, snooker (yeah, I know), Formula 1, cricket
4. Branston Pickle and Picallili – curiously British pickles that I can buy for a $1 (instead of $6/jar in the US)
3. Guy Fawkes’ Night bonfire and fireworks (11/5) – a British reminiscence of a failed terrorist act to blow up parliament
2. Being the foreigner… no one believes I’m British… it gives me an edge!
1. The rest of Europe… actually, I have not ventured outside England yet but I am soooo looking forward to a Thanksgiving trip to Rome!

2 comments:

JB said...

My friend Matt wrote me an email:
1. Biting winds and the exit of sun from your life until next May (or June if it is a rough year)
2. Daylight ending at 3.30 pm, just after completing your lunchtime run
3. Losing any sign of a California tan - and returning to being a pinky islander
4. Getting used to wearing Wellington Boots with your work clothes, and adding an umbrella as an essential "accessory" after the 34th day of rain in a row
5. Seeing "just how white" those hot 'eye candy' guys legs are when you pass them on your winter lunchtime run and they insist on wearing shorts (that are just a bit too short)despite the biting winds and 37degree temps
6. Going to Rome for thanksgiving, and realizing it is full of British, Australian and American tourists (oh no, that's Amsterdam!)

But...I agree, London is the place - glad you are having fun.

JB said...

And Brent wrote the following:
anyway, sounds like you are adjusting to london life quite nicely. when i first moved here i sort of made a top ten list of things i missed from california. let's see if i can still come up with ten, in no particular order.

1. trader joe's
2. diedrich's coffee
3. jamba juice
4. the kevin and bean show on kroq
5. edge cyclesports
6. swimming outside
7. running the trails in aliso woods regional park

well, that's all i got for now. my brain is a little fried.