Monday, July 12, 2004

What does Ironman mean to you?


my weekend homework... instead of training was to answer the question "what ironman means to you?" i did my *nemesis* ride today so i had plenty of time to think while climbing up pantoll...

10. Self-reflection - there's a lot of time to get to *know* yourself on long rides and runs
9. $9,862 and change - money spent on triathlon since I signed up for Lake Placid last July.
8. Watching the N'Sync E! True Hollywood Story because I'm too brain-dead after a long session to handle anything more cerebral
7. Multi-sheet excel spreadsheet - to record the minutiae of my training swims, rides, runs...as well as *social* obligations so I can claim some balance in my life
6. Thinking that a 6:30am swim at Aquatic Park is a good idea.
5. Bovine Bakery chocolate peanut butter blondies (I've been known to fight Hauth over the last one)
4. Self-absorption - never before have I been so obsessed about what I eat, how I train, how much I sleep...
3. Yelling out "on your left" - I have yet to be passed on the bike this year...slow swimming is the major contributor to this statistic.
2. Friends, friends, friends...most of whom let me *suck their wheel* :)
1. Raising money for spinal cord injury research in honor of my friend David Carmel - you'll hear a lot more on this soon!

i could go on...a calendar of sunrises over the golden gate bridge...a deteriorating career...enough swim caps to make a *plastic quilt*... but i'm more intrigued by how people who've done tons of races answer the question...

No comments: