Sunday, May 02, 2004

Saturday 1 May - Wildflower Long Course Triathlon



Calories - 1,000 during race, at least 3,000 post-race and let's not begin to count Sunday's ice-cream *treats* ; Alcohol units - 4 (two red wine and 1 *buttery nipple*) all post-race; Negative thoughts during the run - gazillion, if people heard my self-talk, I'd be committed to a mental institution; High temperature in Lockwood- 93F Event - 1.2mi swim, 55mi bike, 13.1mi run

7:50am - National Anthem singer is a *no-show*. Sing-a-long to an instrumental version... if only I knew the words... I'm clearly not yet ready for my citizenship test.
8:00am - Official start time of men's pro wave but the athletes are having trouble grasping the concept of the start line being on the concrete ramp rather than in the water.
8:02am - Close-up view of the men's start... more white-water that a Class V rapid! 9:17am - Wave 16, i.e. women's 30-34 gets underway... Lake San Antonio is balmy. Didn't even flinch when the water hit the bottom of the wetsuit zipper.
9:54am - Hurrah! Out of the water. Look at watch. 37minutes. Oh, no! But I can swim 2200yds in 32minutes in the pool! Why so slow?
10:04am - Riding 10% grades of Beach Hill, *Egg Beaters* passes me. Note to self that I'll be seeing her again. I feel icky, my quads are sore. Remind myself it's only mile 3.
11:18am - Somewhere along Jolon Road. Finally warmed up. Need to begin working the flatsthough I'm feeling nauseous? Clif bars are not very appealing right now but must eat! What to do?
11:23am - Pass Megan who yells that there are about a dozen W30-34 ahead of me. No
idea how she's keeping count because *body markings* seemed to have washed off in the lake but am cheered slightly by the fact that I'm moving through the field. Eat some Clif Bar. Hope I can keep it down.
12:07pm - Middle of the friggin' day and I'm climbing shadeless Nasty Grade... Bugger! But I'm riding the Trek and I have a 12-27 rear cassette. How hard can it be?
12:09pm - "Jordan Cantwell". Who's calling me? Turn head to look around.
Brian Finlay: "There are five W30-34 ahead of you, I've been keeping count
for you. Good luck".
12:15pm - Pass *Egg Beaters girl*... Told you so! But she's 26...
12:25pm - "Phipp, phipp, phipp..." What's that noise? Darn... rode over someone's helmet sticker and it is plastered on my front wheel.
12:26pm - "Phipp, phipp, phipp..." Dismount and carefully unpeel the sticker, which then sticks to my fingers. Unpeel sticker from fingers.
12:27pm - Remount.
12:49pm - Cruise into T2. Rack bike. Discover bag of gummy worms is now one single, molten jelly snake. Abandon the candy idea. Leave T2 with water bottle and Clif shots.
1:01pm - Mile 1 of the run. No women in sight... just guys. But everyone is walking? Why? It's *swim, bike, run* not *swim, bike, death march*. C'mon people.
1:19pm - Olympic Club cheering posse. Flanny hands me a capful of ice which I place into my cap. Is that an illegal assist? Never mind. Have not seen a course marshall all day.
1:21pm - Mile 3. I'm running 10 minute miles. This is not good... but I'm the only one running. That's good isn't it? Why won't the guys start running?
1:33pm - Naked water stop... naked girl with *freshman twenty* and *brazilian bikini
wax* tries to high 5 me. Eeuww.
1:45pm - Steep section of trail... now I'm walking and it feels good. I can walk all 13 miles can't I? Remind myself that I can't walk at Lake Placid so pick up the pace barely.
1:56pm - Mile 6. I'm running 11-12min/miles. This is terrible. Girl runs by me. She's
42...phew, not my age-group, but I'm being run down by 42 year olds! Develop new *aid station protocol* - cup of water on head, 3 gulps of Gatorade, cup of water with Clif shot. Feel much better. 2:12pm - Back in campground. Crowds cheering because I'm the only girl in sight. Somehow I've revived and I'm running 7min 30s pace. This is good! Where did it come from? GGTC and SFTri clubs start yelling my name. I'm moving! Yay!
2:20pm - Cruise by KKS cheering posse... Lots of noise. Hear Pete's voice call "Go JC" but am focused and continue running at this new-found pace.
2:36pm - Running uphill out of *the Pit* and see 32 year old girl ahead of me. I pass her but she picks up the pace and stays on my shoulder. "Just keep running your pace, Jordan."
2:37pm - 32 year old is breathing heavily and *drops off the back*. Pass JPM colleague, Seth Miller. Smile to self.
2:42pm - Steep run down Lynch Hill. I'm flying downhill and grimacing from the pain as the newly-formed blisters on the balls of my feet are being punctured. Ouch!
2:49pm - Cross finish line in 5hrs 35min 46s

Good enough for 5th place in my age-group, which at Wildflower merits a place on the podium. Even better news is that Natalie took 1st place in our age-group!

Jordan

No comments: